Extensive exemption and remission arrangements protect those likely to have difficulty in paying charges (NHS prescription and dental charges, optical and hospital travel costs).
The NHS prescription charge is a flat-rate amount which successive Governments have thought it reasonable to charge for those who can afford to pay for their medicines. Prescription prepayment certificates (PPCs) offer real savings for people who need extensive medication.
From 1 April 2018, the charges are:
- Prescription (per item): £8.80
- 3-month PPC: £29.10 this will save you money if you need more than three prescribed items in three months
- 12-month prepayment certificate (PPC): £104.00 this will save you money if you need more than 12 prescribed items in a year
- Telephone advice and order line for PPC's 0300 330 1341
- Telephone advice for medical exemption certificates 0845 601 8076
- General Public - Buy or Renew a PPC On-line
There is further information about prescription exemptions and fees on the NHS website